Delivery-slay teen is guilty

Victim beaten with hammer & bat, then stabbed


Shui Ying Lin, mother of slain deliveryman Huang Chen, and Chen’s sister Yvonne leave courtroom after guilty verdict. A baby-faced Queens teen was convicted yesterday of the brutal slaying of a Chinese food delivery man in a sick bid to get sneaker money.

The grief-stricken immigrant family of victim Huang Chen wept as the jury returned the verdict against 17-year-old Charles Bryant, who faces 54 years to life in the senseless killing.

“My father just wants to say that [Bryant] is such a brutal guy, and he wants the maximum punishment because he deserves it,” Chen’s sister, Yvonne, 22, said later with her parents outside Queens Supreme Court. “My brother didn’t deserve to die the way he did.

“Justice has been served,” she added. “Today’s result will help us move on.”

Chen, 18, was killed while delivering a $10 order to an apartment in Rochdale Village on Feb. 13, 2004.

The murder galvanized the city’s Chinese community to support his family and pressure law enforcement to bring an end to a series of vicious attacks on Chinese food workers.

“This is the only way to send a strong message that our system of justice works to fully protect all people,” said City Councilman John Liu (D-Flushing).

Bryant showed no emotion when the verdict was read, but his mother, Madeline, collapsed in tears.

The jury of nine men and three women deliberated for just over a day before finding him guilty on each of four counts of murder, robbery and evidence tampering.

“He’s a kid. I’m not sure he understands what this really means,” said defense attorney Brian Perskin, adding that he would appeal the verdict.

Bryant, who took the witness stand in his own defense, said he left before Chen was killed in Nayquan Miller’s apartment.

He and Miller were both 16 when, prosecutors said, they and a third suspect, William Capehart, 18, lured Chen to the complex, across the street from the Chen family’s takeout business on Guy Brewer Blvd. in South Jamaica.

They ambushed Chen, beat him with a baseball bat and hammer and stabbed him in the lung with a knife before dumping his body into a nearby pond, prosecutors said.

Miller and Bryant admitted the murder to cops, although Bryant told jurors at the two-week-long trial that his confession was beaten out of him.

But the jury didn’t believe him.

He’ll learn his sentence when Justice Robert Hanophy sentences him next month.

Miller is awaiting trial. Capehart was never charged in the murder, although he faces robbery and assault charges in an unrelated case.

All contents © 2005 Daily News, L.P.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s